The Notes: Week of August 2 - August 6, 2021

Holy cats, guys!  It's AUGUST already!  

Thanks for joining me here for the weekly blog posting again.  I hope you will also join me in person (and/or your neighbors) for National Night Out on Tuesday, 08/03/2021.  I will be at the Vosters Park event but there are other events planned throughout District 13 and the northern districts of the city.  I encourage you to at least spend a little time out and about, sharing a smile with your neighbors.  I think our country needs more getting-to-know-you events for neighbors during this time of great political division.  Only when we get to know each other a bit can we get a better understanding of our differences and learn to be more tolerant of them.  I'll just step off this soap box now and show you where you can join in on the fun. 😊



We had a pretty nice turnout this past Wednesday for the community input planning meeting at Lundgaard Park.  I was happy to meet and talk with many neighbors there.  We have so many great options in the works at this time.  The next step is a presentation by the developer of a phased-in plan for the whole park grounds.  What elements we are able to include will be dependent on the public and private funding that will be available.  I know that the city has some money earmarked for the project but private funding will also play a big part.  I will let you know when I know more about the plan and when private fundraising will begin in earnest.  Thanks to all who have provided input.  You can still share with me (or with the city's Parks & Recreation Department) your thoughts on what the park should look like as well.  Just contact me.  

And now for the "meat" of this week's post... because it's Full Council Week.  Here are some highlights of the issues on the agenda for the Wednesday, 08/04/2021 (7pm) meeting:
  • Mayor Woodford will speak to the allocation process for the ARPA (American Rescue Plan Act) funds from the federal government to the City.  I am interested to hear how those funds can and will be used by the city and through what process the common council will be involved so that YOUR voice will be heard (through your alderman).  I will share more on that as we learn more.

  • Two items which were referred back to committee in the last full council meeting will be up for approval again this week.  One deals with what electrical work a homeowner can do without a licensed master electrician.  This one was referred back with a question as to whether solar photovoltaic installations should require licensed electricians and it turns out that it is safest to require that.  So this one was recommended for approval without amendment.  The second deals with the exclusion of shipping containers and pole buildings as accessory (garage) structures.  After further committee discussion, it was decided that only shipping containers should be excluded.  It was amended as such and is up for approval as amended this week. 

  • I expect that the approval of where the excess general funds will be allocated will *finally* be approved during this week's council meeting.  We had a rousing discussion at the meeting of the Finance Committee this past week and I believe that the sum of $75,000 will be allocated out of parks ($25,000) and of enhanced crosswalks ($50,000) and set aside for a Transportation Utility Study.  This was suggested in a memo from the mayor to council and I fully support this initiative.  (I mentioned this item here and here.)  To me, the most important part of this item up for approval is that the 75% of the excess funds -- a whopping $3.84M! -- will finally go to pay down some city debt.  This debt paydown money has been held up the whole time we have been haggling over how to fund the Transportation Utility Study's $75,000 price tag.  This financing item is directly linked with the approval of a resolution that will initiate a Transportation Utility Study which I believe will also be approved so that we can move forward in trying to determine whether this is a viable more equitable and more sustainable alternative to our wheel tax.  

  • One item which was held at the last full council meeting will also be back for discussion and approval: the rezoning of a parcel on Coolidge Court from commercial to multi-family.  The item was held by full council two weeks ago because a fellow alderman mentioned that her constituents were concerned about the rezoning but had not had their questions answered by the owner requesting the rezoning.  I approved the holdover as I always want neighbors to have opportunities to have their questions answered, concerns allayed, and voices heard.  However, this item has now been open for discussion in committee and council meetings for nearly a month and there has now been plenty of opportunity for neighbor/owner discussions.  I intend to vote for this rezoning unless some new information comes to light at Wednesday's meeting. 
In other city business this week: 
  • The Board of Building Inspections has a meeting scheduled for Monday, 08/02/2021, in which they will discuss accepting a non-conforming stairway landing in a home on Union Street that's being repaired/remodeled.  The owner's only repair/remodel option would result in a 32" wide landing and the Uniform Dwelling Code requires 36" wide landings.  I would look to city staff for their thoughts on the safety of this non-conformance.  I'm guessing this is not of much conern to you (and that's OK!)... but I find it really interesting.

  • The Appleton Public Arts Committee was scheduled to meet on Tuesday, 08/03/2021, and an agenda was posted on the city's website.  However, for some reason, this meeting has been cancelled.  I suspect that we will see this committee and this agenda back on the city's schedule in the very near future. 
I look forward to seeing many of you on Tuesday evening!  If I don't see you at Vosters Park, remember that my door is always open and I am happy to speak with you any time about the goings on in the city and how it affects our neighborhoods.  Contact me via email or call/text 920 570-2873 any time. 

Have a beautiful week and we'll meet back here again soon!   

Comments