The Notes: Week of March 28 - April 1, 2022

Hey, Neighbors!  It's "Fifth Week" in City of Appleton government so there are absolutely no meetings -- none! zero! zip! -- scheduled for this week.  There are a few recent item updates I will share; but first... Thank you so much for granting me the extension to get this blog post out to you!  I spent the weekend doing some door-to-door interacting with y'all and I am grateful to have spoken with a good number of you about the current city government happenings and about how my serving both on the City of Appleton Common Council and the Outagamie County Board of Supervisors can be great for all of us.  It was great to speak with those with whom I had the chance and if I missed you, I hope you reach out and contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.  I'll be out again next weekend as well.  (I hope that you're not thinking "thanks for the warning!" 😊)

Beginning our (short) list of items of concern this week is an intersection control change in District 13.  I suspect it's not a pressing item of concern for most since the temporary stop sign on Ridge Haven Lane at its intersection with Osprey Drive has been there for a six-month trial period.  But this stop sign is about to be made permanent by common council action at next week's full council meeting.  If you have any questions or concerns regarding this, please let me know.  

Next on the list is an implementation of the changes in "overflow pick-up" in the city.  I mentioned these changes a few times in this blog (here and here in particular).  April 4, 2022, is the official start date for the changes to the city's bulky overflow (large item) pick-up that were approved in the Department of Public Works (DPW) "package deal" (see first graphic below).  The second graphic below details more of the new bulky item/overflow/large item pick-up program going forward.  You can also get more information about these changes from this post on the city's DPW Facebook page (which also contains a link to the newest public works guide for the city).    


 

Also of interest, is an update on the city's Library Project from the contracted design firm.  You can see photos and virtual tour given to the Library Board last week here.  The library's building project page provides many updated artist renderings of the proposed project as well.  While the renderings look lovely and the project is moving ahead full-speed, I have some concerns about the rising price tag we are beginning to see take shape for this project.  

As you will recall, the city committed $26.4M of city dollars to this project and the mayor made a promise to the council and all Appletonians that the city's financial part of this project would not exceed that.  Then in the later part of last year, the common council voted to use $2M in American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds to support "broadband" in the library construction process.  (I voted to approve this only due to assurances by the mayor that these funds would be used to help decrease borrowing for the library project, not increase the overall city budget on this project.)  So, the current "all in" approved portion of city monetary contribution to the project stands at $28.4M.  Except... the library project cost estimate is currently approaching (if not ready to exceed) the $40M mark.  This is "unofficial" as the project has not yet gone out to bid.  But the project has already gone from an 86,000 square foot structure to a 110,000 square foot structure.  And all options for upgrades and expensive addons are still on the table.  

The Friends of Appleton Public Library conducted a feasibility study for private funding for the project and the results were apparently encouraging.  My concern, though, is that those funds are not yet committed and the project is fast moving to bid and construction without a firm maximum budget number.  I'm encouraged that we will have robust private monetary support for this project.  But the accountant and former business owner in me would like a firm number on which to cap this project so that the city budget is not left holding the bag on any overages incurred in construction that won't be covered by private philanthropy.  Call me cynical if you must... but I believe that that's the way responsible people help to manage a city and taxpayer money.  Please let me know your thoughts on this.  I'm hoping that those who are concerned like me will all remain vocal about making sure that the project does not exceed what we can afford as a city. 

And lastly this week, I'd like to remind you again to make the time and commit to voting in the spring election next week (if you have not already done so via mailed absentee or in-person absentee at city hall)!  So often, many of us just vote in the "major" elections in the fall and forget how important local government and choosing the right local representatives are to us and out communities.  Next Tuesday, April 5, 2022, is your chance to vote for school board, county board, and many other local representatives.  You can see a sample version of your ballot here.  These races are as important -- if not more important! -- than ones for state and federal representatives.  

I'm always available to hear your feedback or address your concerns.  So please reach out any time!  I hope the rest of your Spring Break week is a good one and I'll "see" you back here on the blog this coming Sunday for next week's update.    


Comments